comments

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
Security does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it.
- Helen Keller

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
but I have promises to keep,
and miles to go before I sleep.
- Robert Frost

================================================================================





Saturday, August 15, 2015

Val-d'Or

Aug 14 - PM

I’m camping in Val-d’Or (‘val-DOOR’) tonight at “Camping Le Nid D’Aigle”.
Under no circumstances should you try to pronounce that unless you have extensive experience in Hi-Speed French.
Let's just say that if you heard it and then read it, you wouldn’t find any similarity whatsoever.



I managed to do some grocery shopping today in Mont Tremblant, so I probably won’t starve.
That was interesting.
I’m pretty much completely lost in a grocery store when I’m in my home town and everything is printed in English and I have a list and my wife is texting me.
I just kept wandering up and down the aisles until I found “Le Soupe”.

Tonight’s menu was tough for me to choose - I have so many options!



I rode through Val-d’Or once today and went another 20 miles to Malartic because there was a nice campground there. But there’s a Western Festival going on in Malartic, and the place was full. The nice lady there told me about this campground, which wasn't on my campsite app.

There are so many lakes up here, I think they are running out of names for them.

Today I saw signs for:
Lake Embarrass
Lake Camatose
Lake Whiskey

All the riding I did today to get from Montreal to Val-d’Or was on the Trans-Canadian Highway that goes from the Pacific to the Atlantic. The traffic was pretty busy, but not crowded.
Only as I head North now will I start to get off the beaten path and find limited facilities.
I will probably also begin to see more Cree and fewer tourists.

=====

Aug 15 - AM

I found a McDonald’s on the way out of Val-d’Or, and I couldn’t pass up another chance at reliable WiFi.  (Val-d'Or even has a Wal-Mart!)

I found out that “cinnamon” = “cannelle”.
And “Sausage McMuffin” seems to work in either language.
With those two, I can eat breakfast anywhere in North America!

Stick with me through this, and I’ll have you speaking perfect French by the time I get home.

BTW, if you want to order something in a large size, do not say “gronday”.
It doesn’t work for some reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment