comments

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
Security does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it.
- Helen Keller

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
but I have promises to keep,
and miles to go before I sleep.
- Robert Frost

================================================================================





Thursday, August 6, 2015

Cape Spear

Now I've done it.
I've been riding and riding, and have completely run out of Canada.


I'll turn around and go the other way.

I'm at Cape Spear:



Yes, the bike is in this photo:



During WWII, cannons were mounted in the hillside behind bunkers. They could be raised to fire, and lowered to conceal. Their purpose was to defend shipping from German U-boats.







I'm leaving the St. John's area heading for the Bonavista peninsula. The Info Center folks said it was the best place to photograph rocky cliff coastlines, puffins, and possibly whales.

I asked them if it was too late in the season for icebergs, and they told me there is one left in King's Point. So I might stop by there on the way westward and see if there is any of it left. If it's REALLY small, I'll have the perfect souvenir!

Fortunately, the Ranger at the campground last night was wrong when he said there were supposed to be thunderstorms, high winds and hail overnight. Only a little rain showed up.




1 comment:

  1. Rick, had to laugh at your comments about you and your GPS not being on speaking terms.....enjoy your adventure - appreciate you sharing it with us!

    Bob

    ReplyDelete