comments

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
Security does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it.
- Helen Keller

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
but I have promises to keep,
and miles to go before I sleep.
- Robert Frost

================================================================================





Thursday, August 6, 2015

Bonavista peninsula

The weather today went from cool and foggy to heavy rain, then to thick fog and finished up with blue skies and sunshine.
The saying up here is that if you look out your front door and don’t like the weather, just look out your back door.

If you’re wondering about the diversion in my track today, it wasn’t the fault of my GPS. There was an accident on the Trans-Canadian Highway, and they sent us on a big detour south toward Placentia.

I’m now making camp at Lockston Path P.P., letting the tent dry out a bit before I load the gear in.



Kitchen on the left... Dining Room on the right:



On the way here, I passed by some fishing villages the Tourist Center told me about:
Trinity, Trouty, Bonaventure…





I pulled off the road to take a photo of a bay full of blue and white buoys, planning to ask someone later what they were for.



Then an old local guy stopped and said “Do you know what you’re looking at?”
“No, but I’d like to know!”
He said, “That’s where we tie up tourists who complain!”  :-)

Then he explained that it was a mussel farm.
The mussels attach to the ropes and they just pull them up.

Tomorrow I'm heading on up to the town of Bonavista where I'm told I can photograph puffins and look for whales.



No comments:

Post a Comment