comments

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
Security does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it.
- Helen Keller

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
but I have promises to keep,
and miles to go before I sleep.
- Robert Frost

================================================================================





Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Labrador City

Aug 11:

I discovered that the Trans-Lab is completely paved west of Goose Bay. I didn’t realize it, but the first day’s gravel was all I had to worry about. Only that little 330-mile stretch! :-)

I passed through some amazing wilderness today.
The terrain seemed endless as I watched horizon after horizon appear over each hill.
It’s not only that the towns on this highway are 200 miles apart.
It’s also knowing that if you left this east-west highway and went due south, you wouldn’t find another road of any kind for over 200 miles.
And if you did the same thing to the north, the next road would be… in Siberia.
This is Labrador, and this is THE road!

I was hoping I could make it to Lab City before the rains started, but I could see storms on the horizon, and after dodging them for miles, the road turned directly under them. Finally, I gave up, and pulled over to put on my rain gear. (I hate doing that right after passing some slow vehicles)

I had read on the internet that in Lab City there were no campgrounds, but that you could pitch a tent on the hill under the town’s water tower and nobody would bother you.
Hmm...

40 km before I arrived in Lab City, I passed a sign saying “Grand Hermine Campground”.
Hmm…

I stopped in and found a wonderful place.
It’s the only thing built on Grand Hermine Lake, and it even has a little beach.
I got a tent site right along the beach. There are loons on the lake, and I can hear them call occasionally.





The proprietor said the lake freezes in winter to a thickness of 5 feet.
Judging from the temperature of the crystal-clear water, It must have just thawed a week ago.

No WiFi or cell service here, but I should be able to find somewhere in Lab City tomorrow with WiFi and breakfast.

It’s just starting to rain now.  9:20pm

= = = = =

Aug 12:  Breakfast at McDonald’s in Labrador City (WiFi!)

It rained lightly all night.
I made the mistake of not opening enough vents in the rain fly, so condensation accumulated  on the inside. Then at 5:00am, it formed droplets and rained inside as well as outside.  :-)
I’m such a wimp. A little thing like cold water dripping on my face, and I can’t sleep…

At 6:30, the rain paused, and I took advantage of the interlude to break camp. Within an hour, I was at the McDonald's.

It's still drizzling, and looks like it's not going to change anytime soon.


I’ll leave here now and head toward Quebec City, but I don’t expect to make it today.
I want to stop and see Manic 5 if the weather is OK.  It’s a huge hydroelectric plant that’s said to be a “don’t-miss”.

1 comment:

  1. What a gorgeous campsite - so glad you weren't under the water tower! ;-) And loons to sing you to sleep? Lovely!! Hope you get some sunshine today. Bon

    ReplyDelete