comments

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
Security does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it.
- Helen Keller

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
but I have promises to keep,
and miles to go before I sleep.
- Robert Frost

================================================================================





Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Newfoundland at last

I'm on The Rock.
First, catching up some photos from the Bay of Fundy:




I walked out and took a shot back at the (high-tide) shore:



The boarding for the Newfoundland ferry went much smoother than the one for P.E.I.
But then, I'm so much more experienced now.
The ferry was scheduled to leave at 12:30pm, and they tell you to arrive no later than 2 hours before departure.
That seemed like a lot to me, but I was obedient. When I rode up and paid the fare, I was sent to the front of the line like before, and then forwarded on to the loading ramp. By 10:40, I was on board!

There were already a dozen motorcycles tied down before I arrived.
A BIG ferry - I parked on deck 3, found myself a recliner on deck 7, and went up for some photos on deck 9.







Shortly after leaving port, we entered a thick fog that lasted all the way to NL, where the weather turned cooler with a heavy mist.
I finally got away from the fog 30 minutes after riding north from Port aux Basques.

I camped at Barachois Pond Provincial Park and had a beautiful site on the banks of the lake.



After another gourmet camp meal, I crawled into the tent before it started raining. Later, the winds picked up and by morning the tent was dry again.


Wildlife news:  I almost saw a moose, but it turned out to be a big log.


Flashback: While I was coming up I-95 and beginning to understand that my GPS was plotting against me, I followed its instructions to take an exit. There I found myself in the middle of a college campus with students everywhere, and slow traffic. It turned out to be a pretty big college, but I couldn't see a name anywhere. I clicked on the GPS to display my current location to find that I was in Princeton, NJ.
So there's a bit of trivia for you: Princeton, NJ has a big college in it. I'll find the name of it when I have more time.
:-)

2 comments:

  1. Rick,
    I just told Aaron you would still be gone for another couple of weeks and he said, "he might grow a beard by then." LOL! He is hoping people at church will still be able to recognize you.

    Russell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah! I thought about leaving my razor at home this time....
    But then I wouldn't want to take any selfies. :-)

    ReplyDelete