comments

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
Security does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it.
- Helen Keller

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
but I have promises to keep,
and miles to go before I sleep.
- Robert Frost

================================================================================





Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Winding down to departure time


It seems like I've been spending my time on other things this summer besides getting ready for this trip.
Three days left to get everything packed and loaded before I hit the road.
This time, I bought a small backpacking stove so I can do a little cooking when I camp.
VERY little cooking.   :-)   Like maybe a can of soup or beans. 
I'm not fond of cooking, but I thought it might give me a little more freedom if I didn't have to worry about finding a restaurant near every campground.
We'll see how it goes.

The rough plan for this trip is:
North to Maine, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island and Nova Scotia where I'll board the ferry for a 110-mile trip to the island of Newfoundland.
Then follow the road 600 miles to the other end of the island before heading north to a short ferry to Quebec and Labrador.

That's when the Wilderness Phase begins, as I follow the remote Trans-Labrador Highway through Labrador and Quebec back to civilization. This has only been possible since 2009 when the road was first opened to limited traffic:



If you've heard of the Trans-Labrador Highway (TLH) before, it was probably because of its reputation for deep snow in winter. Photos have gone around the internet for years showing off the area's incredible snow drifts.

Here's a snow blower clearing the TLH after a "dusting" of snow:




1 comment:

  1. Good luck Rick. I made the same trip in 1981. Actually it was my honeymoon. The one thing we couldn't do back then was travel on the new highway across Quebec and Laborador. Essentially everything came to a halt at Blanc Sablon unless we wanted to get on a freighter and travel North. We opted for a salt freighter that took us down the St Lawrence until we could find roads that took us back to Quebec City.
    Some places to look for:
    Halifax is great
    Big tides on the Bay of Fundy
    Emergency exit ...ferry from
    The Grenfeld Mission, St Anthony NFL
    Cavendish region on PEI
    Stonington on Deer Island ME
    My Cadillac ME




    ReplyDelete